ALA Publishing has a new survey out for users outside the United States who might or are considering purchasing the RDA Toolkit.
Here’s the blurb:
Please help us learn more about what ordering and payment systems we need to put in place, so we can make subscribing to the online RDA Toolkit from outside the United States as convenient as possible.
Your answers to these questions will be a key consideration as we make decisions.
We are aiming as much as possible for price parity with US dollars in other currencies.
The url is: http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22AJEBH2QG8.
Troy Linker from ALA Publishing confirmed the June 1, 2010 release of the RDA Toolkit. There was a demo of the product as well as a question answer period about its features and pricing.
RDA Toolkit will offer among other features:
- the RDA document
- Element set view
- Agency policy statements
- and more
Some of the features above as well as others are still in development. ALA Publishing stated that they consider the RDA Toolkit a product that will evolve and continue to be developed after its first release.
Some other features of the Toolkit are:
- Ability to hide or show examples when viewing a chapter or section of RDA
- Create profiles for individual users
- View an entire chapter (the Toolkit loads the entire chapter and an indicator in the upper left hand side will show when the chapter has been loaded)
- Ability to add bookmarks either for individual users’ profiles or so that everyone at that institution can see them. There will also be the option of hiding all bookmarks
- Ability to print the entire RDA document (this will be the only way to get RDA in print)
- Create or use already created workflows thanks to a word processing editor tool in conjunction with the feature, “Workflows”. ALA Publishing is looking into how to allow users to copy and paste certain parts of the RDA document into workflows while preserving the format of the text.
- Document has a date to show its currency
- Within the Element set view, there are links to everything about the phrase or element. This was originally the schema view
- Ability to search by phrases, using limitations based on description type, content type, or mode of issuance. Ability to search the entire RDA Toolkit or sections
- Search phrase is highlighted in the results
- Ability to search and navigate AACR2
- AACR2 rule number search of RDA instructions
- Technical support at email@example.com
Pricing (Quoting from the ALA Publishing flyer on the RDA Toolkit)
- Annual licensing fee for one user at a time, unlimited number of total users $325
Additional concurrent users:
- 2-9 concurrent users $55 per additional user
- 10-19 concurrent users $50 per additional user
- 20+ concurrent users $45 per additional user
Example: 5 total users, but only 3 concurrent users
$325 base price + 2 x $55 = $435
For consortiums and library schools, it looks like ALA Publishing will negotiate prices for the RDA Toolkit.
For institutions with several libraries, it is possible to set up one annual license for that institution and then add any additional users needed instead of setting up an annual license for all libraries at one institution.
- For the period of June 1st to Aug. 31st, RDA Toolkit will be FREE. After Aug. 31st, ALA Publishing will offer a 30 day trial period to any who would like to try the product out. After that 30 day period, an annual license will have to be purchased.
Filed under cataloging, RDA