There is still time yet to register for this online webinar from NISO. Go to: http://www.niso.org/news/events/2009/bibcontrol09/#about. If you miss the cutoff date for this webinar, there is always the possibility of getting access to the archives for a fee.
Bibliographic Control Alphabet Soup:
AACR to RDA and Evolution of MARC
October 14, 2009
1:00 – 2:30 p.m. (Eastern Time)
- About the Webinar
Can’t make it on the 14th? Register now and gain access to the archive for one year.
- System Requirements
- Please note: you will need a computer for the presentation and Q&A, and a telephone for the audio.
- Mac users: You will need to use Safari to view the webinar.
- To save time before the meeting, check your system to make sure it is ready to use Microsoft Office Live Meeting: http://www.communiqueconferencing.com/livemeeting_downloads.asp
About the Webinar
Librarians, ILS vendors, and commercial cataloging service providers — as well as a wide variety of related service providers — all know that the proverbial, heavily acronym-spice “bibliographic control alphabet soup” involves the intelligent and well informed use of many ingredients. Chief in these are constantly evolving standards, combined with more than a sprinkling of creativity and insight. Three expert metadata chefs will analyze and discuss specific alphabetic ingredients already in use or soon to be implemented in the bib control kitchen.
1:00 – 1:10 p.m.: Introduction & Welcome
Karen A. Wetzel, Standards Program Manager, NISO
Todd Carpenter, Managing Director, NISO
1:10 – 1:30 p.m.: AACR2, RDA, VIAF, and the Future: From There to Here to There
Barbara Tillett, Chief, Policy and Standards Division, Library of Congress
This presentation will focus on the differences between RDA and AACR2 and how the new code will better enable linked data for user access in the Web environment.
1:30 – 1:50 p.m.: RDA Elements and Vocabularies: a Step Forward from MARC
Diane Hillmann, Director of Metadata Initiatives, Information Institute of Syracuse
As the lynchpin of hugely successful efforts by libraries to provide information on their holdings to both local and remote users, MARC has had an illustrious presence. However, the format is beginning to fail libraries as many of our partners and potential partners in a greatly enriched information ecosystem do not “speak” MARC but handle their data in very different ways. RDA elements and vocabularies represent the distillation of library descriptive knowledge, optimized for use within an environment that speaks XML, RDF, and linked data, and which seek to express that knowledge in an FRBR-aware manner. This webinar will provide a brief overview of RDA elements and vocabularies.
1:50 – 2:10 p.m.: Data-driven Evidence for Core MARC Records
William Moen, Associate Professor, School of Library and Information Sciences, University of North Texas
This presentation will discuss results from an IMLS-sponsored research project that examined 56 million WorldCat bibliographic records and analyzed patterns of use by catalogers of available fields/subfields. The data provide evidence that can inform specifications for core records based on catalogers’ practices.
2:10 – 2:30 p.m.: Question & Answer Session
If paying by credit card, register online.
If paying by check, use this PDF registration form.
Registration closes on October 14, 2009 at 12:00 pm Eastern.
- NISO Member
- $79.00 (US and Canada)
- $94.00 (International)
- NASIG Member
- $99.00 (US and Canada)
- $114.00 (International)
- Registration closes at 12:00 pm Eastern on October 14, 2009. Cancellations made by October 7, 2009 will receive a full refund. After that date, there are no refunds.
- Registrants will receive detailed instructions about accessing the webinar via e-mail on Monday, October 12th. (Anyone registering between Oct. 12th and 12:00 pm Eastern on Oct. 14th will receive the message upon receipt and processing of payment, within normal business hours.) We ask that registrants please turn off any spam blockers or filters to ensure that the information is received. Registrants unable to access e-mail during that time (out of office, etc.) should contact the NISO office to designate an alternate contact. Any registrant who has not received login instructions by 12:00 pm Eastern on October 14th must contact the NISO office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-654-2512.
- Registration is per site (access for one computer) and includes access to the online recorded archive of the webinar. If you are registering someone else from your organization, either use that person’s e-mail address when registering or contact the NISO office to provide alternate contact information.
- Webinar presentation slides and Q&A will be posted to the site following the live webinar.
Registrants will receive access information to the archived webinar following the event. An e-mail message containing archive access instructions will be sent within 48 hours of the event.